Saturday, February 6, 2010

Deficient

To revisit my last post on sticking - The nurse took out.5 cc and I'm all good! :)

The school semester has started and I am BUSY. Not only that, I have been suffering the worst - unknown cause - back pain for over a month.

In January I saw a neurologist for the first time and had a full set of labs run, and an MRI. She also requested a sleep study but I have not had that one yet. You see, I have been so tired for about two months. Closing my eyes on the road, when people talk to me and not being able to keep my eyes open past 11 p.m., even for school work!

At first I thought it was my age, but I constantly see others my age going round the clock and since I was becoming extremely unwell, I imagined something greater was wrong.

I was right, but wrong about what it was. I went in for my followup yesterday and the Nurse Practitioner came into see me and she was very serious. I was immediately concerned and then almost nearly 100% relieved when she said my back looked good and my kidneys were all good too. --only she was still serious looking and of course, my back pain was still unexplained.

Then she told me I am extremely deficient in Vitamin D, registering a level 7 when optimum is somewhere between 30-50... whoa. You see, without Vitamin D my body cannot process Calcium properly and for lack of a more scientific term, my bones are becoming soft. My muscles in my back and other locations are spasm-ing. My B12 is low and the NP said that is likely attributing to my lowest of the low energy level. It has taken several hours for me to type out this blog post, for example.

So much makes sense now, such as, why my arms would ache after pulling my wheeled backpack a few feet - literally.

Greatest threat of not getting the amount necessary of these vitamins? The Heart can stop functioning. yes, literally stop working.

So, ladies and gents with the band, don't merely get your fills, take your childrens' chewable vitamins, and lose weight. Approach your doctor about checking your vitamin levels before you end up in constant pain and fatigued as I am. I will update you on how I feel as often as I am able.

4 comments:

  1. We here in the northwest all suffer from deficient vitamin D because of lack of sunshine (although I do not think in as extreme a way as you have!). I use it as an excuse to push for tropical vacations :) ...or on the cheap a full light spectrum lamp might boost the vitamins too but not as much fun.

    I hope you feel better soon and those number go back up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness- I hope you get supplements and start feeling better soon. It's a good reminder that I need to get my blood work done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it is a good reminder. :) When I spoke with the Nurse Practitioner yesterday she said that I have become so deficient because of the lapband. Now the vitamins don't have as much time in the GI tract to be absorbed properly. It's odd because the people at the FILL center have never asked me anything much about vitamin intake. Let me tell you, i will not let that slip again!

    There are several places that feel like I was knocked hard there... like just above my knee... feels like I banged it hard against a coffee table of something - but I didn't physically hurt myself. So, suffice to say, I feel like I was worked over with a baseball bat tonight. :/ goodnight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maricela - how are you doing? If it's not brilliant, then join the club and tell us about it...? I'm doing miserably at the moment and I could do with hearing someone else's take on how to tackle it - or not.
    Write soon.
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!