Thursday, August 6, 2009

Send in the Clowns

I was watching So You Think You Can Dance, maybe it was one of last week's performances and a nostalgic feeling swept over me because of the song Tyce Diorio choreographed.

When I was a young girl, my parents collected fragile porcelain dolls and kept them on an etagere in the front entry. I don't know which occaision we were shopping for but I think we were at Almeda Mall looking for a nice doll for my mom. My dad must have had a preference for one and he asked me to choose one (I doubt my choice had much to do with what he bought).

I loved the harelquin clown with his young face, white clown suit & black hat. He had a little tear to make him appear sad too. The best thing was that he played Send in the Clowns. It was calm and sad, but so beautiful.

My dad bought that clown for my mom and I used to pull that clown down and play it whenever I happened upon him. I was probably 12 years old when my sister was running down the hall and lost control, crashing into the etagere. My favorite clown now had a hole in his head and I rescued him for myself for a few years. He's long gone now.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Maricela - I've just been checking on eBay, it's just the sort of item you would find there (I've replaced pieces of china in this way), and although I didn't find it, I'm sure that if you look regularly (or set up an automatic e-mail) you'll find one eventually. I appreciate though it's not the same. How sad that it got broken!
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!