Thursday, August 13, 2009

Another Reason for WLS

I've been thinking about getting some "nice" shoes, which means I want something that will look nice when I start wearing capris and well, want to wear something besides the manly pair of women's confort shoes I wear now.


Here's the main problem: I suffer from Plantar Fasciitis. (Yeah, I know. I was clueless) Here's the information you want to know.


The Plantar Fascia is a wide band of fibrous (stringy) tissue which runs along the bottom (sole) of the foot. This band of tissue is attached at the heel bone and extends forward to the base of the toes. The Plantar Fascia helps to hold the foot arch together and serves as a shock absorber during activity. When there is an over-stretching of the Plantar Fascia a condition known as Plantar Fasciitis may occur.


Possible Causes of Plantar Fasciitis:
This condition may be caused by the following:*

Improperly Fitted Footwear – Wearing shoes that are too tight and do not provide the appropriate foot arch support or allow for the proper range of motion of the entire foot may be a contributing factor. Sudden switches in footwear (such as abruptly changing from high heels to flats or boots to athletic shoes, etc.) may also bring on this condition.

* Over-Pronation (“Flat Feet”) – is the leading cause of Plantar Fasciitis. With Over-Pronation, during walking the arch of the foot collapses under the pressure of the weight being placed on the foot. The collapse of the foot arch causes the Plantar Fascia to be stretched away from the heel bone where it is attached.

* High Foot Arch – An unusually high foot arch may be a factor.

* Excessive Weight (Obesity) – Too much weight on the foot from either obesity or pregnancy may be a factor.

* Increased Physical Activity – A sudden increase in physical activity may bring on this condition.


The items in bold are my main issues. I bought my current work shoes in December 2008 and they are still comfortable! My brown pair are actually quite nice, but I settled on the black for comfort. Now that I'm losing rapidly I think I will stop in at The Walking Company and see if they have something nice I can afford.



I got the above information from the Comfort Shoe Shop web site. To find out more information, please visit the web site.

3 comments:

  1. I have heel spurs too. It sucks because the podiatrist says the worst thing I can do for it is walk! And I really like to walk for exercise- have you gone to a podiatrist about it? I did before surgery and got a cortisone shot in my heel- it has helped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two heel spurs in the same foot as the PF. Just lucky I guess. They don't bother me near as much as the PF. I'm going to continue stretching as suggested and pray it gets better when I'm a thinner woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had it..and I cured it! It takes a really long time to heal but I am now good to wear cool shoes again. My two strategies were The ugly two strap birkenstocks and really good tennis shoes that I replaced every three months or so.

    I worked during this period as a teacher and was on my feet all day everyday. I wore the birkenstocks almost all day everyday for two years. When I went for a walk I put on the tennis shoes and then put the birks back on again when I got home.

    The weight loss will of course help but I did manage to fix my feet at 300 pounds.

    Good luck with your band Maricela. I found your blog through Caroline's. I have had my band for almost a year now and it is really a wild but great ride!!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!